Edgewood is the place to begin for any child or youth to get the mental health care, social services, and academic support they need from highly trained, welcoming professionals.
Edgewood seeks an experienced and entrepreneurial advancement leader with a commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Edgewood, ready to work in partnership with the CEO and Board of Directors to achieve the goals of the 2023-2025 strategic plan. This candidate will establish a new foundation of fundraising, marketing, and event management and will develop a major gifts-oriented, sophisticated, and innovative advancement program and department that sets up Edgewood for expansion, growth, and long-term sustainability.
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) will carry out an aggressive plan for managing and securing donations from generous individuals, foundations, and corporations and create greater demand for and heighten awareness of Edgewood’s broad range of mental health services for children and families.
This leader will be responsible for developing multi-year and annual revenue projections. The CAO will provide overall leadership and management responsibility for multi-million-dollar capital, endowment and other special-purpose campaigns or initiatives. The position requires collaboration with staff throughout the organization, especially with other Senior Management members. The CAO serves on the senior management team and under the direction of the CEO works with members of the Board of Directors to support their fundraising efforts.
The CAO supervises a team of 4, including a Director of Advancement, and leads recruiting in the areas of major/planned gifts, annual giving, events, marketing and communications, general department administration, and grant writing. This candidate will establish a high-functioning and innovative marketing and communications department that will develop and execute effective, results-oriented brand and growth marketing campaigns through in-house and agency support teams. The results of these efforts will attract donors, program participants, community supporters, and policy leaders – helping position Edgewood Center as the “place to begin” for mental health and social services for all children and families.
- Provide leadership and direction to the CEO, the Edgewood Board and its Leadership Committee as well as the internal advancement team overseeing all advancement and marketing activities.
- Oversee all aspects of the Advancement Department, including, but not limited to, securing donations from individuals, corporations, and foundations. Manage campaigns, estate giving, special events, and marketing and communications.
- Oversee with the Director of Advancement the annual fundraising program, events, and ongoing stewardship of donors, and CRM database management. In addition, the CAO will ensure timely and successful execution of fundraising goals, strategic plan goals, and other tasks as assigned.
- Build and manage a high-functioning, effective marketing organization that will strengthen and reposition the Edgewood brand, scale marketing channels, and develop expanded messaging and communications campaigns that will convey the value and benefits of Edgewood.
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors and the Board’s Advancement and Major Gifts Committees and Marketing Committee to achieve Edgewood’s advancement and marketing goals, attending and supporting meetings directed by the CEO and as needed.
- Represent Edgewood in the greater Bay Area community to pursue both advancement goals and the broader mission of Edgewood in partnership with the CEO.
- Provide the leadership needed to tackle all day-to-day issues related to advancement and marketing.
- Attract and retain top talent, including supporting hiring throughout the organization.
- Routinely visit Edgewood’s different centers and attend events to engage with staff and better understand our services and impact on children and families
- Work effectively with colleagues in other departments to ensure Edgewood effectively achieves its mission and goals.
- Actively partner with others at the Senior Management level, pushing for high standards, effective execution, and strong communication across the organization.
Strategic Planning (15%)
- As a part of the senior management team, work with the CEO and partner with the Board to contribute to and expand Edgewood’s strategic plan and related implementation plans.
- Execute the organization’s strategic plan and mission by effectively communicating successes and challenges, one-on-one and within the senior management team.
- Ensure that all direct reports’ goals are in line with the strategic plan and implementation plans and are focused on those limited number of things that will notably move Edgewood forward; ensure that goals and plans are documented and used for priority setting.
Fundraising & Financial Management (45%)
- Oversee development of Edgewood’s annual advancement revenue budget, collaborate with COO & CEO on the overall budget; explore opportunities to grow revenue of all types.
- Oversee all capital or capacity-building campaigns or initiatives.
- Ensure that a strong working relationship occurs between the Advancement and Finance Departments, with full monthly reconciliation and close cash flow management.
- Collaborate and produce funding reporting with the finance team
- Measure and track all marketing activities and closely track ROI of marketing spend.
- Develop and produce reports for the Development Committee of the Board, as requested, to ensure the Committee is adequately informed.
Collaboration & Partnerships (10%)
- Develop and/or advance partnerships and collaborations with funding institutions, other non-profits, and other organizations to build deeper relationships or establish new relationships that help Edgewood achieve its operational and strategic plan goals.
SKILLS/ KNOWLEDGE PREFERRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business from an accredited college or university. Master’s degree preferred in Business with an emphasis in Marketing.
- Ten+ years of experience in a leadership capacity with proven success in staff management.
- Experience with a health care or medical organization or other community-based or youth-oriented organization preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of the advancement field and direct experience leading multi-million-dollar fundraising campaigns and initiatives.
- Experience building and managing an effective marketing plan
- Demonstrated ability to organize, direct, plan, budget, and coordinate.
- In-depth knowledge of donor database software, preferably Raiser’s Edge
- Leadership skills, including negotiation, problem-solving, decision-making, and delegation.
- Very strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the CEO, Senior Management, Board of Directors, staff, community groups, and other related agencies and do so while working under pressure, meeting multiple and often competing deadlines.
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation is based on experience. The salary range is $200,000 – $220,000. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance as well as a retirement plan. Edgewood features a beautiful campus with several facilities in San Francisco. Free parking is available.
Please provide your resume and cover letter with the subject heading: “CAO Edgewood” to Stacy Nelson & Associates-Leadership Search Partners by emailing [email protected] or applying via the website at www.stacy nelson associates.com.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Edgewood Center for Children and Families is an equal opportunity employer.